Alrighty, here’s a blast from the (not-too-distant) past! Check out this series of photos–kitchen experiments that I documented while I was on hiatus from the blogosphere…
A pound of butter, to be used in a vintage pound cake recipe. (The cake turned out DENSE, just as I had anticipated).
Using day-old flatbread that I got for free, plus a few odds and ends (cream cheese, seasoning, chopped veggies), I made some delicious ham sammiches.
Speaking of chopped veggies… I made “chop” for my dear little cockatiel. At first, he was much more interested in the flatbread nearby, but after some extra encouragement, he gave the chop a try…
Om nom nom! ^_^
Photos of homemade cheese sauce…
Sweet potato casserole… that I accidentally dumped salt into. ::Grimaces:: Added honey (if I recall correctly) to offset the saltiness a bit. Couldn’t quite get adjusted to the flavor, but dammit, I finished it all! :-p
Ah yes, one of my favorites… When I was working evening shifts at a homeless shelter, I would often drop by Wawa on the way to catch my bus home. My usual indulgence was the buffalo chicken focaccia ‘pizza’ that they sold at the time. It was terrible (50% bread, nasty globs of cream cheese, no actual bits of blue cheese to be detected), but it was ALSO addictive. So, I bought it… more often than I’d like to admit.
After they stopped selling that monstrosity, I thought about concocting my own variation–one that would be less of a shit show and more of a legit “Buffalo chicken / blue cheese” combo.
After carving out a large boule (that I got for free–yay, free bread!), I slathered it with oil, dumped some hot sauce all over it, and then started adding the rest of the ingredients…
Awww, yeah! In the oven it went.
This photo shows the remnants of a green bean casserole that I prepared for a “Friendsgiving”. Almost ruined the recipe by accidentally adding condensed milk instead of evaporated milk. Threw in mayo, soy sauce, and a few other things that I can’t even remember. The final result was a rich, complex casserole that significantly strayed from the bland traditional preparation. All in all… success!
This past December, I attempted to make a gingerbread house (from scratch!) for the first time ever in my life.
I decided to try designing a Philly rowhouse, rather than a more ‘traditional’ cottage or farmhouse. Drew some very rough ideas…
Rolled out the dough to a thickness that I deemed acceptable, and laid the templates on top of each designated slab.
Sometime during the holidays, I made bread pudding out of panettone.
Plus, homemade cranberry ginger ale!
There were many struggles to assemble the rowhouse, but I did eventually get it together (the house, and also the fragments of my sanity)…
Yeahhhh, those cracks on the side? Totally intentional. ::Dodgy eyes::
A view of the other side…
The ‘rear patio’ side. First side that I had attempted, and, heh, it shows. :-p
I said “Fuck it!” to the idea of placing a roof, and instead, took delight in the idea of using the house to store seasonal treats.
(Here’s a closer look at the front-facing facade. Hard to tell, but the cookies ‘n’ cream bit up there has the house number carved into it. The thing below it is the mailbox, coated in black cake gel).
With the arrival of January, I found it cathartic to destroy the house, and nibble away at anything that had not already gotten completely stale.
In February, I ventured into the realm of lunch box order preparation. There was a seasonal theme, of course–Valentine’s Day!
This is a sample box that I prepared.
Deceptively plain-looking box…
And, here is one of the orders that I filled!
It was stressful, but fun. Thinking about doing spring-themed box lunches soon!
After being repeatedly disappointed by bland store-bought tiramisu, I decided it was time to make my own.
There was much vigorous stirring and folding of ingredients, but ha!, I made my own tiramisu, and it was fuckin’ delicious.
Will be making it again, for sure!
In an attempt to have some semblance of portion control while still having fun mixing and matching ingredients, I started making simple lunches for myself. This one involved tri-color pasta, red grapes, and seasoned (cooked) broccoli, with a banana on the side. Tasty! Mostly healthy! Success!
My most recent ‘experiment’ involved the concept of “stained glass” or “broken glass” jello. I’ve prepared this recipe in the past, but this time, wanted to veer away from the usual cubed cuts. My goal was to create something that resembled an actual stained glass panel, with copious light (both natural and artificial) being able to shine through the clear, colorful flavored Jell-o pieces.
For the condensed milk and gelatin mixture, I tried to mix several food dyes to create something more akin to “lead came”. Couldn’t quite get the right color, but at least it differed from the original color significantly.
This batch wasn’t quite what I had intended, but I did achieve the main idea. There was just too much “lead came” and not enough “decorative glass pieces”, so for the next batch, I’ll try something a little bit different…
Phew…! Okay, hope that y’all enjoyed the update! As mentioned in the previous post, I will try to add new content on a semi-regular basis. 🙂